Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Rozen Licenses

Let the whining commence!

Well, it looks like the inevitable finally occurred.


Yes, after a good while, Rozen Maiden has finally been licensed by Geneon entertainment. Of course, this does unfortunately instigate unfounded criticisms from fansub lovers who aren't aware of American releases aside from what they see on TV, leading to whining about how the whole series is ruined.


Personally, I have a high tolerance to dubs. I am completely, 100%, an equal lover of both dubs and subs. Both have their strong and weak points. However, since dubs tend to get the short end of the stick, I usually take a strong pro-dub position in debates. I just like rooting for the underdog.


With Rozen Maiden comes the inevitable "Keep the Desu" remarks. That's all fine and dandy, but "desu" doesn't really translate to anything. The last time a company translated something similar, we got Naruto's "Believe It!" and a world of complaints about that too. Besides, it's not like the fansubs added "desu" into their subs anyways.


Geneon's dubs have a good reputation for consistent quality. Samurai Champloo, R.O.D The TV, Paranoia Agent, and Koi Kaze come to mind. That said, I have high hopes for the series. Shinku deserves a slight British accent. It just fits her whenever I think about it, though I doubt I can love her dub voice any more than her sub voice, which I just adore.


Eh, what can I say? I loved Rozen Maiden from the moment I saw it. I just learned recently of its 4chan popularity but I'll try to keep that out of my head for the most part. It just sucks that I have two "must buy" shows coming out this year (the other being Haruhi).





By the way, episode 5 is totally the best episode of Rozen Maiden. Ever.

No comments: